Our specialist helpline is an essential source of support for people experiencing domestic abuse and we are in urgent need of volunteers willing to cover out of hours shifts.
Answering calls, you will be providing immediate emotional and practical assistance, offering confidential, non-judgemental information and signposting to other agencies as appropriate.
Shift times are:
Monday to Friday - 5pm to 9pm
Saturday/Sunday - 9am to 1pm, 1pm to 5pm and 5pm to 9pm.
There is some flexibility on timing so, for example, if you can't take the helpline until 5.30pm then we will provide cover until that time.
The role is home based and you will be provided with a mobile phone on which to take calls. There is always a staff member on call so that you have access to support, information or guidance at any time.
We ask that volunteers cover two shifts per month wherever possible. Full training is provided and you will be required to attend two evening training sessions (in Woking) and a period of shadowing on the helpline which takes place during the working day (again in Woking).
You will need to be calm, sympathetic and friendly with a non-judgemental approach. The ability to provide clear and concise information as well as being able to remain calm in potentially stressful situations is essential.
For more details/to apply please contact Karen C at email@example.com.
More Information »
Being a Helpline Volunteer means that you are providing essential support to people experiencing domestic abuse. You will be based at yourSanctuary's offices in Woking where you will be part of a great team in a friendly and supportive environment. At present we are particularly looking for volunteers willing to cover a regular Monday, Wednesday or Friday afternoon. Other sessions may be available on an ad hoc basis. The main aspects of this role are:
- Answering calls to the helpline.
- Providing immediate emotional and practical support as appropriate.
- Offering confidential, non judgemental information and signposting to other agencies as needed.
- Taking referrals to refuge.
- Finding refuge accommodation out of our area when needed, accessing 'refuges on line' and information as appropriate.
- Liaising with colleagues to manage cases as required.
- Escalating issues as required.
- Keeping up to date with changes in legislation and services offered in the areas relevant to domestic abuse and child protection to ensure that information provided is up-to-date and accurate.
You will be required to attend two evening training sessions (5.30pm to 8pm) along with a period of day-time (during Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) shadowing on the helpline and, because it is essential that the service we offer to callers is of the highest standard, we only accept volunteers on the helpline who we believe have the skills and ability to cope with the demands of the role. Although no previous experience is required and full training will be provided, you will need:
- A friendly, calm and sympathetic telephone manner with good listening skills.
- The ability to empathise whilst not getting personally involved with an individual's situation.
- The ability to provide clear and concise information and guidance when needed.
- The ability to remain calm in stressful situations and to successfully respond to and manage conflict.
- Administration skills, including the ability to keep clear and accurate records.
- Basic IT skills.
- The ability to communication effectively with a wide range of people, including your Sanctuary team members, other volunteers, service users, professionals and partner agencies.
- The ability to be an effective part of a small team.
- To understand and respect issues of confidentiality.
- A willingness to keep up-to-date with changes to legislation and services offered as they affect the role.
- A commitment to equality and diversity and the impact of this on our service.
- To support the aims and principles of your Sanctuary.
The shift time is 1pm to 5pm although there is some flexibility in terms of timings; we ask that a volunteer covers at least two shifts per month although we understand that occasionally this might not be possible.
For more details and an application form please contact Karen C at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that this is a volunteering role so we do not accept CVs/use recruitment agencies.More Information »